tip of my board

tip of my board

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wind

Wind and paddling seems to be a theme in my Facebook paddling reports.  So I wanted to take some time to write about it in greater detail!!!

It is both friend and foe!

Foe --
When the wind is coming at me it causes resistance.  I have to paddle harder and you go slower.  The harder the wind -- the more work.  The cool thing is that I can often see the wind on the water and I know what to look for.  When is blowing hard, there are more waves (the water can get really choppy).  If there is a gust coming my way I can see the pattern on the water.

At first I was afraid of a lot of wind.  Now if I'm out and the wind is strong, I see it as a challenge.  I have been paddling and felt like I couldn't get any momentum.  I have just stood on my board and laughed out loud into the wind.  I often then find an "extra gear" and get my rhythm and I myself moving forward again.

Friend --
When the wind is at my back, I can just take my paddle out of the water and be pushed forward.  It feels like a reward for the hard work I put in for pushing into it.  The trick is that you can't see the gusts coming - so I have to have "soft knees" so if an unexpected gust comes, I can keep my balance.

Then there is wind coming for the side.  This is my least favorite.  It takes a different kind of balance.  I have to be able to read it and shift my weight from side-to-side so I don't go over.  It takes concentration.  I am grateful when I can get the board back to the place where the wind is either in front or behind me.

The wind is now really my friend at all times.  Whether it is challenging my strength, my balance or I'm gliding on the water with its assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment