tip of my board

tip of my board

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Swans and Swallows

On Lady Bird Lake on the south side of the Mopac bridge I get to watch the activities of swans and swallows taking care of their families.

I'll talk about the swallows first.  There are a lot of swallow nests built on the bridge.  Swallows make their next out of mud.

You will find a picture of the nests at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cliff_Swallow-27527-2.jpg

Swallows are insect eaters.  So in the morning they are flying in what look like clouds catching breakfast.  When their young are born -- they will take breakfast back to the babies.  They are fast and agile in the air.  I love to watch them swarm above me.

Now for the swans!  Swans mate for life.  The couples are very loving.  They will often hook their necks when they swim together.  I have seen them "mate" and that does not look as loving...

Now there is a mother sitting on her eggs and a male swan being very protective.  I have had him swim at full speed at me.  I paddled away as fast as I could yelling, "I'm not going to hurt your babies, I'm not going to hurt your babies."  I was able to out pace him and it was a little scary.  And then two days ago he flew at me.    I thought he was going to hit me and at then he flew about three feet to my left.  Swans are big birds and he could do some damage if he wanted to.  I'm very glad that he is so protective and I hope he is learning that I would never hurt his young ones.

I so enjoy watching the cycle of life on the lake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment